My mother died 5 years ago. She died a day before Mother’s Day. (It wasn’t this exact date, but close enough). I still miss her all the time. I miss her when I have some good news to tell her. I miss her when I just want to talk. How many of us will dial the phone number after someone we loved has died just to hear it ring? I don’t do it any more, but I did for a little while after she died.
Here are my top 10 reasons for missing her.
- 1. She loved me unconditionally, and I loved her back.
- 2. She was a good listener.
- 3. she was a link to my past although she started to forget it at the end. She called me by my childhood nickname. I miss hearing her say it.
- 4. She appreciated any little thing I did for her, no matter how trivial.
- 5. She still tried to mother me any chance she got. One time the apartment she lived in sent up some extra food for her, and she asked me if I wanted it. (It was sweet).
- 6. She was always happy and excited to see me.
- 7. She was someone I could be around without watching everything I said.
- 8. We had fun together. We loved to go to restaurants together. By the end of her life, that’s about all she could still do.
- 9. She cared about my kids and husband and always treated them like royalty.
- 10. It still kept my father alive in some way. She never forgot stories about him. My only hope is that they’re together somewhere in some way.
Happy Mother’s Day Mom wherever you are!
- The Woman with a Mother III (georgettesullins.wordpress.com)
- Happy Mother’s Day! (lorischulz.wordpress.com)
- 5 Reasons to Celebrate Your Mom (hollsandlolah.com)