Let me clarify this by saying, I liked being a parent, but I’ve seen other people who shouldn’t have even thought about it for a moment.
As my children will tell you, I was not perfect, but I did my best. (Besides I had a husband who was very well-suited for the job.) I think it always helps when there are two of you, but I guess it’s not necessary.
Here are my observations. I can do this because I am very mature, and don’t care what anyone thinks.
I invite you to agree or disagree with me!
Don’t have kids if…..
1. You are basically selfish. There’s no room for selfishness here, only unselfishness.
2. You are trying to save your marriage. Children will topple over a shaky marriage, and it’s not fair to bring them into a bad situation. Only bring children into a good situation.
3. You are lonely…. get a dog or cat instead. They can’t speak, and will give you unconditional love.
4. You have a low-level of frustration. Nothing will try your patience more than little kids. Your frustration will plunge to depths you didn’t know existed. (However, if you’re lucky their cuteness will keep you from losing it altogether. I guess it’s nature’s way.)
5. You just want to dress them up like a little doll. Chances are they won’t share your taste. This preference for clothing shows up quite early in life. When they figure out what you like, they’ll go the opposite direction. (Besides when they’re infants they may spit up on the outfit.)
6. You are lonely. Don’t put another person in charge of keeping you from loneliness. It isn’t fair, and it doesn’t really work. (Have you seen Octomom, she looks very busy! As you can see if you read the link attached to this, she’s resorted to porn.)
7. You want to live as a millionaire. (Does this really need an explanation?)
8. You want a friend . Good parents look at their children as their responsibilities not as friends. You want to fit in with your friends who have children. Your children might not get along with your friend’s kids. Then, you won’t see them at all.
9, You want someone to give you comfort in your old age. Sometimes that works, other times, they may live on the other side of the world. You shouldn’t bring people into the world to take care of you.
10. You freak out when you hear a lot of noise, or smell unpleasant odors. Be prepared to be around a lot of noise and smells, at least in the formatiive years. Sitting in a quiet odorless room may be a rare pleasure.
Any additions to this list. Feel free!
- Octomom: Money from Adult DVD to Help Kids (fox8.com)
- Siblings as sitters: Good move or asking for trouble? (swrnn.com)