The Thinking Man sculpture at Musée Rodin in Paris (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
I notice that is so much easier to complain and be negative than to be happy and positive. I don’t know why that’s really true. Is it the path of least resistance. Anyway, I’ve been thinking about people I know and admire. What qualities make me want to be around them.
1. They are not complainers. If you ask them how they are, in general they will say things like:
“I can’t complain.”
“Life is great.”
“I’m pretty happy.”
Although I complain myself , I don’t want to hear it. That is definitely something I have to work on!
2. They are good listeners, and interested in your life and feelings.
Have you ever said thought-provoking things to someone, and they act like they haven’t heard a word you said? I had a conversation with someone like that today. They just kept talking about what they were doing.
Or how about the person who is only listening long enough to tell you something about themselves. (I am guilty of that myself, and it’s something I have to work on)
3. People I admire try to open their minds to new ideas. Sometimes, as people get older, they get stuck in thinking a certain way. (Yes, me too!) Sometimes we get stuck in the decade when we were young and impressionable.
4. People who I admire are adventuresome. They’ll try new restaurants, new places to visit, and new activities. I am one of those people who like security. There’s security in doing the same thing over and over.
5. People I admire are tolerant of other points of view. For me, that’s one of the hardest things of all. Why is that?
6. People I admire are loyal They will get over initial hurts, and look at the big picture. They will put family and friends first. I try to do this as much as I can, but I like others, are fallible too.
What are some qualities you admire in people? What do you think is important?